Rescue hard drive data on Windows 7
Windows 7 Operating system supports FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS file systems. The problem with FAT 32 file system is that if you have FAT 32 partition on your system then any user who has access to your computer can access any files from your computer. NTFS file system supports file level security and it has the capability to rescue from some disk related errors automatically. NTFS file system can support hard disk that has higher storage capacity.
Windows 7 has a built in utility to partition a hard drive. There are some steps, which you must follow to partition your hard drive using Disk Management Utility,
- Open control panel and then click on Administrative Tools icon. Click on Computer Management option in Administrative Tools. In the left pane, click on Storage bar and after that click on Disk Management.
- Then select the drive that you want to partition, right click on the drive, and select Shrink Volume option. A Window will get displayed showing you the total size of the hard disk and total amount of space available to shrink.
- Enter the amount of space, which you would like to shrink and then click on shrink button. It will display unallocated space and then you can assign drive letter to it. By following this procedure, you can create new partition on Windows 7 computer.
Some of the scenarios, which describes how deletion or loss of data occurs from partitions are,
- Data loss due to accidental deletion of partition: When you delete existing partition accidentally from your Windows 7 computer, then it will lead to deletion of data, which was present in that particular partition.
- Data loss due to repartitioning: When you are trying to repartition the existing partition, using third party partitioning tools then due to some error data loss may occur on your hard drive.
- Data loss due to partitioning errors: While converting partition from one file system to another file system if file system conversion process fails due to some errors it may lead to deletion of files from partition.
- Loss of data due to inaccessible partition: When any viruses affect hard drive partition then partition may become inaccessible. Due to inaccessibility of partition, you may lose some of the data from the partition.
Whenever you have deleted any data from the partition or when partition data loss occurs due to any reason, the actual data will not get deleted from the partition. Partition data will remain in the same location but pointer to that partition data will get deleted. Until and unless you have not overwritten any other data on the same location, it is possible to regain formatted drive using third party data revival tool in few clicks of mouse.
Precautions that you must take to avoid data loss situations from partitions are:
- Take backup of all your important data regularly to avoid data loss scenarios. Keep backup files in CD, DVD or in external hard drive, so that you can restore all data in desired location if data loss occurs due to any reason.
- While partitioning hard drive using third party partitioning tool you must be careful because while partitioning process due to some error occurrences data loss instance may occur. Usage of low quality partitioning tool may also lead to data loss cases.
- It is always better to use antivirus software in your system. Usage of updated antivirus software will prevent your files from virus attack.
When data loss occurs from your partition then you can make use of Hard Drive Revival Software. The software can regain data from partitions Windows 7 and recalim files from accidentally deleted FAT or NTFS partition, formatted partition and even from corrupted partition. The software can undelete deleted or lost files and folders from memory card, flash drives and USB drives as well.This software is capable of rescuing data lost after using chkdsk. The software can recover image files, audio files, video files, and even RAW images from Windows 7 partition. To get back files from hard disk on Mac OS X you can make use of Hard Drive Revival Software Mac Version that too in few simple steps.
The steps which you need to follow while rescuing deleted or lost files from partition are-
Step 1: Download and install Hard Drive Recovery Software in your system. Once you launch the software, the main window is displayed. Select "Recover Drives" option from the main screen as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Select Recover Drives option
Step 2: Then, select "Partition Recovery" option from the screen that appears next as shown in the Figure 2. The software will display the detected physical drives from which you need to select the physical drive from where you want to recover deleted or lost partition.
Figure 2: Select Partition Recovery option
Step 3: Once you select the physical drive, click on "Next" button. The software will scan selected physical drive and it will display the found partitions from which you should select the partition that you want to recover and then click on "Next" as shown in the Figure3.
Figure 3: Select partition to recover
Step 4: After that, the software will display file types that you can recover. Once you select the file type which you want to recover click on "Next" button. The software will stat scanning the selected partition and displays the recovered files from the partition as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Recovered files